Learn More about our cEO
Dr. Shawn Spann Edwards
Dr. Shawn Spann Edwards, MBA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Shawn Spann Edwards is a diversity, equity and inclusion, human resources and management professional and professor. She is the CEO and Principal Consultant of Solutions by Shawn Edwards, LLC,
Shawn has aligned her academic achievement with her passion ensuring that she continues to provide the most up-to-date best practice and strategies for your clients. She holds the designation of Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certified by the Human Resources Certification Institute and is an SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP). Dr. Edwards earned her Doctor of Business Administration from Temple University, MBA with a Human Resource Management concentration and a Graduate Certificate in College Teaching and Learning from Walden University, a Bachelor of Arts in Management from Webster University, and an Associate of Arts in Fashion Merchandising from Bauder College. Her research interests include nonprofit management and governance, organizational diversity, equity and inclusion, human resource management, strategy development, and culture alignment.
Engaged in the community
Engaged in the community, Dr. Edwards serves as a board member for the YWCA of Greater Charleston, where she chairs the Governance Committee, an advisory board member for Palmetto Warrior Connection, and the board chair for The Autism Platform Project; a nonprofit focused on creating work and career opportunities for individuals with autism. She is also a member of the Diversity Council for the SC Chamber of Commerce, a member of Explore Charleston’s Heart for Hospitality Advisory Board, and Temple University’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative Academic External Advisory Board. Dr. Edwards is a former board member of the SC Society for Human Resource Management (SC SHRM) and Palmetto SHRM (formerly Tri-County Human Resource Mgt. Association) and a former Honorary Commander for Joint Base Charleston.
Shawn is a mentor to many and has served as a volunteer for several organizations in the Charleston area and has spoken at various schools, career fairs, and organizations on a range of topics to include DEI, HR, and culture development. Dr. Edwards is also adjunct faculty at Trident Technical College and the College of Charleston.
Dr. Edwards is a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and a long-term member of Christian Praise & Worship Center, located in the Accabee section of North Charleston. Under the leadership of Lonnie M. Palmer, Shawn is an active member serving in many capacities including the ministerial staff. Originally from Jersey City, NJ, Shawn resides in Charleston, SC. with her husband Derrick J. Edwards, together they have five children and one grandchild.
Notable Achievements & Awards
- Leadership South Carolina Alumni (2016)
- Furman University Riley Institute Diversity Fellow(2013)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)–Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) Certification (2014)
- Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) Senior Professional of Human Resources
(SPHR) Certification (2011)
- Certified BRIDGES Trainer (2005) / Certified DISC Trainer (2009) / Certified Polarity Thinking
- Charleston Regional Business Journal 40 under 40 Awardee (2015)
- Outstanding Student of the Year Award (2009) Distinguished Alumni Award (2010)–Webster University
- Bethune-Leonard Section National Council of Negro Women 2010 Innovator under 35 Awardee
- Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Leadership Charleston Graduate (2006)
- South Carolina Notary Public–Notary Expires February 9, 2022